Wednesday, January 15, 2014

One day to go- Time to establish the rules!




WOW, my challenge starts tomorrow. I would be lying if I said I was not a little bit nervous. After all I am about to start working out much more than I have in years. I am eliminating some of my favorite things to eat and drink and I am diving into meditation which means that some thoughts and feelings that I have been avoiding will most likely come up as if to say "hello, its us! No avoiding us now".
    In order for this to actually be a challenge there must be rules to follow that will help me stay focused and as a way to track my progress. The rules are as follows:

1. I must work out five times per week- with at lease two of those days being yoga

2. Daily meditation split into two sessions- One 10 minute session in the morning and one before bed

3. Two pages stream of consciousness writing every day- For those not familiar with this it is basically journal writing but with no filter. You just write what ever comes into your mind with no editing. You may end up writing things like "i am writing with no filter, this is weird. Why am I doing this?". The hope of this is to get out all the junk floating around in our minds that can sometimes keep us from developing clear thoughts and intentions.
4. "Clean Eating" Monday- Saturday- That means NO PROCESSED FOODS!!!!!!!!!  I am allowing myself a little break on Sunday's but still healthy!

5. No meat- Vegetarian for this girl for 30 days (and maybe longer)- I used to be a fairly strict vegetarian and really loved it. I am hoping this is the kick I need to keep back to my animal friendly way of life.

6. Drink 3 liters of water per day- Yes that is a lot but water is a beautiful thing and so healthy. I know I will need it with my increased exercise. It will keep me hydrated, energized, and even serve as a mood elevator  :)

7. Blog daily about the challenge-  thoughts, feelings, obstacles that come up, hurdles overcome, and just basically how things are going.

8. No coffee- This is probably the saddest part of the challenge. Oh how I love my coffee!!!!!! Sadly,  I have become slightly dependent on this amazing liquid. To the point where I get intense headaches and quite irritable if I don't have it in the morning. I do not want my mood or body controlled by any substance. I am  replacing coffee with tea that provide the little bit of caffeine needed to wean myself plus healthy polyphenols (antioxidants).

Well that pretty much sums it all up! These 8 rules will guide me over the next 30 days to what I hope will be a healthier, happier, more settled 30 year old Katie!

Love and hope,
   Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment